Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Why I switch to Mac OS X

I have been a PC user for more than 15 years, and have been both Windows and Linux users since their very early version. (DOS 5.x to Windows 3.x to XP, Slackware to Redhat to Gentoo). I have also been a user of OS/2 for about 1 to 2 years.

Recently I have switched to Mac OS X for the following reasons:

  1. Easy to use, cool looking, well thought and stable GUI readily available. Supporting Chinese and those default good looking Chinese fonts just can't be available in common Linux distro by default.
  2. BSD Unix behind the scene. So I can still do whatever I can do previously with Linux (Apache, Jboss, mysql, gcc, perl,php)
  3. I am not a gamer, so most of the applications I usually use in XP do have similar equivalent in OS X.
  4. Plug & Play usage for my iPod and firewire/usb external drives. (I can even connect my plain old Creative Jukebox thr. USB, just need to install an extra app)
  5. No more virus/spamware problem.
  6. Can run some great killer applications like Photoshop/Dreamweaver etc.

For the first 2 weeks with my Mac, I am struggling with searching for similar applications I used to have in Windoz. Now my search is nearly over:

Browser -> Safari/Firefox
BT -> Azureus
FTP -> Fugu/Transmit
Text editor -> jEdit
Media Player -> VLC (and realplayer for rmvb)
chm ebooks reader -> xchm
Photo viewer -> FFview/GraphicConverter
SSH client -> Terminal!

Well, I know every platform is not for everyone. For me, I need a rock solid OS which can both do GUI and server applications. Linux should be the default answer, but the GUI from both KDE or GNOME just isn't as cool as Aqua. And you just can't plug and play with most hardware with Linux. Don't flame me on this. That's personal choice. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.